Friday, May 22, 2009

Kale dressed in Bacon

Leave it to bacon to improve any meal!

This time last year, I was nearing the end of a month long vacation in Morocco. Morroco is mostly Muslim. Muslims, as a rule, don't eat pork. I found myself, about one year ago, desperate for a pizza with mushrooms (I always want mushrooms) AND bacon AND ham. Did I get it? Nope. Was it the first meal I had when I got back to North America? almost...(first, I had pork chops!), but my pork desires in their many wonderful forms were foremost in my mind for a good while thereafter. I had many pizzas overflowing with ham and bacon. And it was good.

It still is good.

Bacon is always good. What better way to dress healthful greens, such as kale. I ordered kale in my organic box last week and dressed it my favourite manner, but with a twist: maple syrup!

Kale dressed in Maple Bacon

1 bunch of kale, chopped, coarse stems removed
2 Tablespoons maple syrup
4 strips bacon
1/4 lemon, juiced



Chop bacon and pan fry til almost crisp. Drain some of the fat (you don't need ALL that fat!), reserve about half of it. Add the chopped kale, maple syrup and lemon, stir and cover. Cook 10 minutes covered. Check tenderness, it may take another 5 minutes to get the kale soft. It will start to carmelize...mmm.

I served it with mashed potatos. You don't need much more to get a filling meal.



No comments:

Post a Comment